Saturday, August 2, 2008

First Blog.....Ever





Okay, so this is my first blog ever. Today we went hunting in the Alaskan Frontier. Our trip required just a few things. The first of which i was a gun, not a regular deer hunting rifle, no, one that can kill a bear. Second on the list was a hunting license. Blaine's buddy and his girlfriend have one, so we were good to go.....well not legally, but technically I wouldn't be shooting anything, so it was all good. Third on the list: Parka. Yes guys, deer hunting in August requires a heavy coat up here in the AK. Fourth: A boat. Alaskans like to do this thing called beach hunting. Seeing as how we live on a big island surrounded by many small ones, you get in the boat, drive up the sound, and keep your eye out for Sitka Blacktail Deer. So, my husband, the eagle eye, sees two deer about 20 minutes into our boat ride. I was looking for actual deer, not the sorry excuse for a deer they have up here. So we drive the boat up close, and yes, it turned out to be two deer(the size of a lab with kinda long legs)! So we drive the boat up on the beach, and the boys get out. Josh, Blaine's buddy, is from Baltimore, and has never shot anything besides a target before today. So.....Blaine gives Josh the gun, and tells him to get after it. About a minute later, I hear a freaking elephant gun shot, followed seeing a deer run a few yards and fall to its death. Edith and I make sure the boat is secure and go see the guys. Thirty seconds into our trek I hear two more gun shots, pause a minute and then hear one more. Apparently the deer up here just wait around after seeing one of its species be killed. So, I get up to the first deer, shot through the lungish area....good one Josh! Then walk to the second one where I find a leg blown off, a shot in the bootie, and a hole in its chest I could fit my fist into. Yes, my husband didn't want me to see the deer dying, so he took the bear gun, and at point blank, shot it. So, a 20 minute boat ride, 4 minute hunt, boat ride back, and then like 4 hours spent cleaning and cutting up deer meat later I got home to finally shower and reflect on my first Alaskan hunting trip.......Way different than Texas...
The deer in the picture is the one that Josh shot in the butt.....lol and if you look closely, you can see the massive hole in its chest!

1 comment:

Smartypants said...

Remind me not to go hunting with Blaine! Ok that was a good laugh!