Saturday, October 18, 2008

Happy Alaska day!


Okay, this was my ebay bought ball attire. Next year I am going to add to it or make a new one.
The stole has pockets! So handy. It is too bad that I will only use it one week a year. Maybe I could use if for halloween!
This is the Army and Coast Guard's Color gaurd. We were doing a reenactment of the exchange of Alaska from Russia to the US. These poor boys look cold! Look at everyone around in thier coats and hoodies, it was freaking freezing! I felt even more sorry when they let the flags go, and they are flapping in the wind. Meanwhile the guys are pushing the flags down so hard into their holders trying to keep the flag pole still. It worked at first, but the wind picked up and the guys' whole bodies started swaying.
This is me, the head military Russian guy(haha) and another greeter.
I took this pic in a hurry as the helo was doing its last fly over. I thought it was cool that I got the flag in with it!

Over all, Alaska day was fun, I am definately going to volunteer next year, and go to the ball, and the parade as well. Speaking of which, the Alaska Day parade was bigger than the 4th of July parade. There were so many people in the parade, that I thought no one would be there to watch it. I was wrong. The streets of Sitka were packed! Oh yeah, Mom, Blaine spoke personally with Admiral Brooks! Remember the Article? He was here this week, and talked to his unit about the aids they are going to put up north. I told him that if he had actually paid attention to what you were telling him and read the article, he would have known this already! Anywho, I will post more pictures later, we had portraits done at the ball. toodles

2 comments:

mom said...

hey the pictures were great. you look pretty in your gown. the picture if you and blaine is really good. i'm glad that you enjoyed doing the greeting. well i'll talk with you later tell all hi for me and i love ya'll. i know its cold but this is the little girl that walked barefooted in the snow

robin said...

Cute!

It has been 85 degrees here this week! It's hard to believe you're already getting snow!