Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Solo hike and Whale park

These first few pictures are taken from Castle hill. It is the very place where Alaska became part of the United States 150 years ago! I have to drive across that bridge everyday from my island to the main one. Take a close look at these pictures. You will notice some blue sky. Don't let this fool you into moving up here. It is only sunny I would say for maybe 6 days a month, and that is stretching it! A partly cloudy day is a gift! I actually get blinded by the sun when there are no clouds out!
This next one puzzles me. I don't think Alaska is allowed to fly their flag as high as the US flag.Shame on them! I could be wrong.
This one was taken at Whale park. You go there to watch the whales come in. I have yet to see one. I did, however, see a freaking huge sea lion. When you think of sea lion, you think of cute, cuddley, and about the size of a dog. Hell no, friends, this one was huge. I am talking bigger than a cow! I totally freaked out when I saw it.We were checking on one of the CG's boats cause Blaine had duty. I see this thing in the water, throwing a fish into the air. I went down to the dock that floats with the rise and fall of the tide, and it got pretty close. I was scared at first. There was no doubt in my mind that if I fell in, that it would eat me. I tried to take a picture with my phone, but those sea lions are sneaky animals.

So, one day I decide to go for a hike. Not a long hike, or up a mountain, just a trail hike. I decided I would hike for a couple of hours to heart lake and back. I start on my hike and come across this pretty little creek.


More pics from whale park
This one was taken on my solo hike....more about that later
And another from whale park
Okay, so back to the solo hike. I go alone, well with my dog anyway. I get a good start, and then it hits me. A primal fear for my life. No I didn't actually see a bear, but I got deathly afraid of seeing one that my hike lasted only 30 minutes. I didn't feel confident enough that I could outsmart one. That is how I ended up at whale park. It is between the water and the highway. Bears do not go there.


No comments: