Monday, November 17, 2008

Hiking!


These were taken on a hike we recently took. It's a funny story actually. So, I wanted to go hiking at this trail I went to by myself once, but never hiked because I was scared of bears. Well, we hike, and take pictures of the lake along the way, and we hike some more. We started right up next to the highway, and hiked up between the mountains. After two miles, I see the water again(Sitka Sound). Turns out it was just a pass that would connect to the highway again. So, we get to the end, and I find the fortress of the bear. You thought I saw that thing that close in the wild....ha, I would have pooped myself if I had seen it in the wild. It turns out that these two bears in the photos were orphaned when they were wee cubs two years ago. Their mom died, got hit by a car, or was shot, I don't know what happened. Anywho, they put them in these huge tank things, and you can visit them. People bring their left over deer bodies to them and stuff. So, we see the bears, and then I was like, "Hey, lets just take the road back, it can't be any longer than the hike, and it is probably flatter anyway." Blaine reluctanly agreed, but soon into the walk back, he gets pissy and goes on and on about how long it is taking to walk back to the truck. He had me actually wishing that we had gone back the other way, when out of the blue, I saw Whale park. I knew that we were parked just down the hill from whale park. I used to ride my bike out there during the summer, when we had daylight and all. So anyway, We get back to the truck. Blaine was pissed by this time and you know me, I tend to not help things when I am right. So, we clocked the walk back, and guess what?!? It was ONLY one tenth of a mile longer than the hike through the pass. Okay, it's not so funny now, but it was then.

The first picture is of an avalanche from this past winter. If you look closely you can see the tree bits sticking out. and it was melting. Think about if someone was driving down this road at the exact time of the avalanche! They would be gonners!

























Here is Blaine walking behind be mad the whole walk back along the road.




















This was getting gas. You can see the four wheeler in the back of the truck.. My husband tried to trick me into going four wheeling instead of hiking. I am no dummy.











1 comment:

Brian said...

Tell that punk walking is good for him.